Welcome to two more bloggers!


We are excited to introduce two more bloggers to the Kodály Corner! Meet Liza and Christopher!



1.) Tell us a little bit about yourself
My name is Liza Meyers and I live in Floral Park, NY on Long Island with my husband, Brian, and Corgi pups Louie, and Dexter. With a name like Liza, I was destined to be a Kodaly teacher, right? I’m originally from Ohio, where hubby and I met in college at Capital University, lived in Arizona for almost 12 years while we were both working on grad degrees, and moved to NY 3 years ago for hubby’s first university gig. He’s a Kodaly band guy…a rare breed. I love that we can go into the city to see a Broadway show, go out to the wineries on the north fork, or go to the beach. I could do without the snow and hurricanes, though. On those days I miss the 112 degree Arizona heat!

When I started college I thought I was going to be a band director (I was a trumpet player), but I was decidedly ambivalent about the prospect. Luckily for me, I was first introduced to Kodaly at Capital University and saved from a life of Friday night football games and marching band (I love you, band director hubby). I remember having a Kodaly epiphany after attending some CCKE workshops and thinking, “This is what I should be doing.” I’ve been toting around a tuning fork since then.

2.) Where and what do you teach?
I currently teach K-2 music at Manhattan Charter School 2 in, you guessed it, the Big Apple. I’m lucky enough to teach at a school with a strong music emphasis, so all students have music every day for 45 minutes to an hour. In the past I taught in a rural farming community in northeast Ohio, and in two suburban school districts in the east valley in Arizona.

3.) How long have you been teaching?
This is my 16th year teaching music.

4.) Where did you do your Kodály levels?
We lived and taught in Northeast Ohio after college, so I did my level I studies with Rita Klinger at Cleveland State.  We moved to Arizona for grad school at ASU where I took level II with Rochelle Mann, and Level III at the Kodaly Institute in Kecskemet, Hungary with Joan Litman as my American Methodology teacher through Capital University. Many thanks to Dr. Mathias for letting me tag along with the Ohio group.

5.) Which Kodály-inspired teacher has been the most inspiring to you?
I don’t think I can pick just one person when so many people have been a part of my journey.
Sandy Mathias, Rita Klinger, Jo Kirk, Sandy Stauffer. I admire not just their musicianship, but also their intelligence, strength, and above all kindness. I take a little bit of each one of them with me every day.

6.) What is your favorite Kodály levels memory?
My trip to Kecskemet was the most memorable by far. I vividly remember sitting in solfa class attempting my first dictation on the first day when my teacher, Katalin Szutrely, walks over, puts her hand on my shoulder and says, “Liza, write…SOMETHING.” I had been sitting as the Bach Cello Suite was being played over and over with a blank stare and a slack jaw as thoughts like “Holy cow! Where do I even start?” ran through my mind. Now I teach musicianship classes myself, and it all started in Hungary. I’ve come a long way, baby. J

7.) What is your favorite teaching memory?
There are so many, but one of my favorites happened recently when one of my autistic students, after performing in a concert for the first time ever, ran over to me, put his hands on my shoulders, shook me and gleefully screamed, “I love my school!!!” Children have such a capacity for joy, and I’m happy that they share it with me every day


     1.)  Tell us a little bit about yourself
My name is Christopher Roberts.  I grew up in Connecticut, but headed west to Seattle after college, and never looked back. Before my first year of teaching, I registered for Kodály Level I here in Seattle, and I got hooked on this Kodály thing in about three seconds.  When my son was born ten years ago, I reduced my teaching schedule to half-time, and made my way through the MA and PhD program at the University of Washington, finishing up in 2012.  In addition to spending time with my family, I like to cook and exercise (a good combination!)

2.) Where and what do you teach?
I teach K-5 elementary music at St. Joseph School, here in Seattle. I also do some substituting at University of Washington, teach in Kent State University’s online Master’s Program in Music Education, and direct the Kodály Levels Program of Seattle.

3.) How long have you been teaching?
17 years!  It’s hard to believe it’s been that long!

4.) Where did you do your Kodály levels?
I took Levels I, II, and III at Seattle Pacific University, then went to the University of Calgary the next summer to get some additional training.  Since I’ve been teaching in the Levels program in Seattle, I’ve tried to get to observe other programs, and have spent days visiting the programs at Portland State in Oregon, Holy Names University in Oakland, and St. Thomas in the Twin Cities.

5.) Which Kodály-inspired teacher has been the most inspiring to you?
Rita Klinger.  Her concise, no-nonsense teaching style provided me with a structure to effectively teach concepts while making sure that each class was fun, filled with joyful music-making experiences.

6.) What is your favorite Kodály levels memory?
Wow, that’s a hard one!  I think my favorite memory from Levels is conducting in the final concert of Level III.  Conducting was my weakest area when I was a Levels student (we all have something to work on, right?), so seeing my growth due to the work I put in was really satisfying.


7.) What is your favorite teaching memory?
I don’t think I have one favorite teaching memory.  But, hands down, my favorite part of teaching is working with a child who struggles, and seeing the pride on their face as they figure out a concept or succeed at a challenging skill.  Nothing beats that!

We are so excited to have Liza and Christopher join our collaborative blog! Liza will be posting a blog entry very soon, so stay tuned!

No comments

Back to Top